Saturday, January 28, 2017

Spirit Play and Balance

written by Christine Gautreaux, LMSW, Certified InterPlay Leader


Dear friends,

Friday I was privileged to co-lead InterPlay Atlanta's Spirit Play Class with Deb Heirs at the Shambhala Center in Decatur. (Jennifer Denning who usually co-leads this class was traveling)

On this day we started by centering ourselves with singing bowls leading into silent sitting.  We then played with introductions and what we could talk about...

We babbled about Grace and Grace making.

InterPlay warmed up our bodies and guided us into a walk, stop, run where we played with ease. 




 Deb brought the poem "Balance" by Alice B. Fogel for us to read and respond to.

Balance

Related Poem Content Details


Balance is everything, is the only
way to hold on.
I've weighed the alternatives, the hold
as harbor: It isn't safe                                                                             
to let go. But consider the hover,

choices made, the moment
between later and too late.
Hesitation is later, regret
too late. You can't keep turning
and turning, or expecting
to return. This earth

is not a wheel, it is a rock
that erodes, mountain by mountain.
And I have been too soft,
like sandstone, but there is a point
where I stand without a story,
immutable and moved, solid
as a breath in winter air.

I have seen my death and I know
it is my neighbor, my brother,
my keeper. In my life
I am going to keep trying
for the balance,

remembering the risks and the value
of extremes, and that experience
teaches the length of allowable lean;
that it is easier — and wiser —
to balance a stone as if on one toe
though it weigh a hundred pounds

than to push it back against the curve
of its own world.


I thought this was timely considering Jennifer's last blog.
We had time to write our own poetic responses and share. My body was filled with grace and gratitude as I listened to everyone's voice.

Here is Deb's poem that came out of our time together:



Balancing, as if
riding a bicycle
into the rain--
careful, aware.
That same care
could be guidance
for the good days,
the sunny days,
the lazy days--
could be the grace
that grows a garden.

d.hiers, jan 2017, atlanta, ga

We finished our time together with a contact dance since several of our poems responded to the line in the poem, "...and that experience teaches the length of allowable lean."

It was an hour and half that was so soul soothing for me and according to the noticings of the other 7 group members (who I forgot to take pictures of) they concurred.


If you're in need of some of this yumminess meet me in Norcross tomorrow for Suburb Sunday InterPlay.


In Peace & Play,

Christine

P.S.  We have a Secrets of InterPlay & Secrets of Leading InterPlay coming in March!  Click on the pictures below to learn more.




No comments:

Post a Comment